There’s a lot of information floating around the web which boasts the fantastic, heroic-like powers of bananas. But, what does the research say? We’ve looked through the literature and done the work for you. The verdict? Bananas pack a healthy food punch!
Here are 7 reasons why bananas are superfood all-stars:
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease. Just one medium size banana provides 12% of the recommended amount of daily fiber (20-35 g/day). Approximately 1/3 of the fiber in bananas is soluble fiber which is the type of fiber associated with decreased risk of heart disease. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure, and protect against heart attack and stroke.
- Healthy Weight. Soluble fiber also provides us with the feeling of fullness, which helps promote weight loss. For a fiber-full breakfast or snack, throw in a whole, ripened banana with 1 cup of cooked steel cut oats. This combination provides around 12 grams of fiber which can help you in reaching your weight loss goals!
- Digestion. Bananas digest more slowly than other foods due to their fiber and pectins which causes a slower absorption into the blood stream.
- This means bananas are also good for people with Diabetes. Bananas have a relatively low glycemic load value (16) because they digest slowly which leads to a slow and steady rise of blood sugar. As bananas ripen, their starch is broken down into sugar, which means the greener the banana, the lower the glycemic load.
- Constipation. Stopped up? Research indicates that bananas can help you. The fiber in bananas acts as a sort of “scrub brush” of the intestines, which aids in digestion and helps prompt regular bowel movements. The key is to eat a ripe banana. Green tinted bananas contain a considerable amount of starch, which can be hard to digest and lead to constipation. As bananas ripen, their starch is broken down into sugar, and they become easier to digest. Bonus: as bananas turn from green to yellow, levels of cancer and heart disease fighting antioxidants increase!
- Athletic Performance. The unique combination of vitamins and minerals in bananas in conjunction with their low glycemic load, makes them a great fruit for athletes. Did we mention that bananas are a good source of potassium which helps prevent muscle cramps? Their portability also makes them a perfect snack for travel games.
- Happy Thoughts. Some nutrients in bananas are known to be able to help fight against depressive symptoms. That’s right; bananas play a small role in overcoming depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin -- the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter.